Position: Afterschool Director Date Prepared: May 2014
Position Reports To: Executive Director
Type of work: Part Time (28 hours per week)
Positions Reporting to this Position: Hebrew Centre teaching staff Authorised By: President and ED
The United Jewish Education Board (UJEB) is a not for profit organisation that provides quality Jewish education to students outside of the Jewish day school system. UJEB is a communally funded organisation that works extensively in the state school system providing Religious Education. UJEB also provides Jewish after school classes at a variety of locations, Bat Mitzvah and High School classes as well as numerous other educational activities focused on primary and secondary school students.
Primary Purpose of Position:
To contribute to the success of UJEB by Coordinating the Merkaz Bentleigh, Caulfield Junior College, Batmitzvah and JED Glen Eira College Afterschool Centres.
* Educational qualification necessary (Diploma Education or equivalent)
* Must have own car and current driver’s license
* Must be available after school hours Mon-Thur
* Must comply with the UJEB’s Child Protection Policy including a Working with Children Check and any other relevant Police or professional check.
Core Capabilities: An understanding, commitment and adherence to the values of UJEB. Ability to teach Hebrew and Jewish Studies, culture, texts and traditions as well as the ability to manage and inspire staff and maintain positive relationships with all stakeholders.
• Teaching in a school environment Prep-12
• Teaching in an out-of-school environment
• Teaching Hebrew and Jewish studies, culture, text and traditions.
• Building and maintaining relationships
• Staff management
• Dealing with parents and other stakeholders
• Ability to lead a team
• Ability to prioritise key responsibilities
• Superior oral and written communication skills
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
• Ability to demonstrate personal initiative
• Ability to teach Hebrew to primary school children
• High level knowledge of Jewish studies including texts, traditions, customs, culture and history.
• Recruiting, training and supporting Afterschool teachers
• Leading and developing UJEB’s program of Afterschool Centres
• Supervising the work of UJEB’s Afterschool Centres’ teachers to ensure effective and professional delivery of all programs
• Supervising curriculum preparation and implementation
• Relief teaching if required.
• Maintaining accurate records of student attendances
• Managing stationery and other supplies
• Administering ongoing relationship with stakeholders (may include students, teachers, UJEB office staff, UJEB board members, current and prospective parents, schools and suppliers)
• Ensure sufficient staffing arrangements to run the Hebrew Centre
• Administering special functions as required e.g. Model Seder
• Being the first point of call for the Hebrew Centre
• Facilitating afternoon tea for students
• Ensuring appropriate tracking and reporting of all classes taught
• Ensuring all teaching staff deliver program appropriately and professionally
• Ensuring payroll is accurate monthly
• Preparing all relevant communications including newsletters and reports.
• Other duties as required
• Executive Director
• RE Coordinator
• Marketing Officer
• Office Administrator
• UJEB Teachers
• Board of Management
• Communal organisations
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
KPIs will be negotiated with the successful candidate and will be incorporated into the annual work plan.
KPIs will focus on student enrolments and satisfaction with the program, and will also include:
1. Effectively implementing prescribed curriculum
2. Staff turnover and satisfaction
3. Contributing to enrolment growth at the centres
4. Involving parents and encouraging participation in the Hebrew Centre program
5. Facilitating annual reports on each child